If you are a business owner and are being plagued by questions as to which online marketing strategy is better for you, if there is more than one strategy that you should follow, in what proportion you should use the strategies, which strategy is easier to manage, and which one would give you more success in your marketing endeavour, read on to get some insight into a couple of online marketing strategies: PPC and SEO and as to which one would be more suitable for you.
With regard to these strategies, it is also vital for you to know that both the strategies have one point in common: both are means of driving up the traffic directed to a website. Both the techniques can be used independently of one another and it is also true that both can be used simultaneously. This has more benefits.
SEO and PPC: Differences
The very basic idea of how the two strategies function is evident in their very names. Whereas in PPC (Pay per Click), as a business owner you pay search engines or any other publisher of your advertisement according to the number of clicks that you receive and consequently for the paid traffic that is being directed to your site. However, in the case of SEO, you incorporate elements in the design of your website so that the position of your website improves in the organic listings of the search engine for popular keywords. The best part of this is that it enables free traffic to your website. However, money has to be spent to incorporate SEO elements as the website is built. The next few paragraphs briefly list out the pros and cons of the two online marketing strategies.
Listed below are a few pros and cons with regard to the PPC online marketing strategy.
- PPC campaigns give the website quick exposure and thus may bring in results faster, perhaps in a matter of hours.
- They are easier to monitor.
- PPC provides scope for detailed analysis for the business owner in terms of the number of times the advertisement has been displayed, the number of clicks, the rate of conversion, which advertisement is the most popular, where the ads are to be displayed, etc. The results are more measurable.
- The business owner can also decide the sot at which the advertisement has to be displayed and start or stop the campaign as per wish. This allows more control for the business owner.
- Another manner in which PPC campaigns helps is the study of how design changes in the architecture of the website affects the conversion rate.
- PPC campaigns are most suited for those advertisements that are seasonal in nature, those that have to be displayed for short periods of time, and those that cannot wait long enough to improve positions in organic listings.
- PPC campaigns last only for as long as the business owner pays for them. Once the business owner stops paying money, they disappear from search engine listings and other content networks.
- It has been observed that PPC campaigns tend to expensive on two counts: when the product niche is very competitive, the spending budget tends to be high. A lot of money has to be spent in the PPC campaigns when the product that the business owner advertises faces stiff competition from big brands.
- Observations have indicated that whereas PPC campaigns generate only about 10% of the target segment to click on the advertisement, organic listings generate close to 90% of the traffic.
Search Engine Optimization
Listed below are a few pros and cons of the SEO online marketing strategy.
- The traffic generated by SEO is way more than what is the result of a PPC campaign. The traffic is highl;y increased if your website appears in the top few lines of organic search listings.
- When your website improves its rankings in the organic search listings, there is no need to pay more for the extra traffic that is generated.
- Once your website traffic stabilizes over a period of time, you can enjoy the high traffic without having to make any payment. It will be for free. You can thereafter stop to apply the SEO and link building techniques.
- Link building and SEO done in a proper manner serves to improve the authority factor and credibility of the website.
- High quality websites always serve to beat any other brand with an inferior website, however big that brand may be. The best part is that this can be done without spending large amounts of money.
- It has to be understood that implementing SEO design techniques and link building involve large amounts of time. Results are not instantaneous. It takes close to 6 to 8 months to achieve high rankings in search listings. Other factors are website quality and the competition that exists in the product niche that is being advertised.
- Organic results can be very unpredictable with the result that there is no guarantee whatsoever on the ranking that the website can be at.
- There can be a situation when the complete architecture of a website has to be changed if the site is not user friendly when the optimization is being done.
At the end of it all, whether you select your online marketing strategy as SEO or PPC depends on the nature and purpose of the campaign. If you are looking for quick exposure, PPC may be the answer. SEO calls for long-term investment and the results are not visible as easily. The best solution for the business would be to use PPC as a campaign tool to fill in those gaps that cannot be filled by SEO. As examples, PPC can be used to run advertisements on content networks, to conduct research on suitability of keywords for the campaigns, test the design of an upcoming website, etc.
As a business owner, the online marketing strategy that you select will depend on the line of your business and the way in which you advertise your products to your line of customers.