For startups, working capital is commonly the source of headache. You need it to make sure that day-to-day operation goes smoothly. If, after applying for business credit to the bank, you still need additional capital for the business, finding investors can be one of good tips to start a business. However, convincing the investors to invest in a startup may not be that easy. The business is still in its infancy, and there is no track record to convince them.
Tips to Start a Business: Having a Convincing Investor Pitch Deck
Despite a startup, it is highly possible for you to get additional capital for investors. The key is convincing them to invest in your company. You may be asked to prepare a ‘pitch deck’ and present it in front of the potential investors. This is the only chance for you. Therefore, preparing a great and convincing investor pitch deck is one of popular tips to start a business.
Pitch deck is simply defined as a short presentation, which usually includes 15-20 PowerPoint slides, to showcase your company in front of the potential investors. The pitch deck includes at least the company’s profiles, products or services, team and human resources, and technology. Preparing a great pitch deck can be a challenge. Here are some tips for you:
The Do’s of Investor Pitch Deck
Here are some tips to start a business by preparing a convincing investor pitch deck:
- Give short explanation about your business, the company name, and the products or services you are selling
- Explain the market opportunity
- Give trustworthy details about the business
- Include visually attractive images and graphics
- Do not give a ‘surprise’ for the potential investors. Make sure to send the pdf format of the presentations few days before the meeting
- Set a short demo of your product as a part of the presentation
- Show that you have not just an idea. Instead, show your passion, commitment, and competence to grow the business larger.
The Dont’s of Investor Pitch Deck
To increase the success rate of the investor pitch deck, make sure to avoid the following mistakes:
- Preparing long pitch deck (more than 20 slides). If you think it is important to provide more information, include an appendix, which the potentials investors can read.
- Using too many words in every slides. Investors are not interested in reading the texts. Instead, the will focus more on what you are saying.
- Trying to cover the truth about the company and its financial condition
- Using lots of jargon, acronyms, difficult-to-understand words, or slangs. These make your presentation less formal and less serious. The potential investors may question your commitment
- Underestimating the competitors
- Poor pitch deck layout, low-quality paper, bad graphics, or poorly edited texts.
Tips to start a business mostly include this session. This is particularly true for small startups, which commonly have problems with financial stability. So, make sure to use the chance in an optimally. Perhaps, this can be your last chance to raise capital for the business.